A R Rahman launches Irshad Kamil’s INK Band Music Series on World Poetry Day
Song 1- ‘Vo Ladki’, OUT now…
Poetry weaves magic, and can charm us all. So when Irshad Kamil, poet & master lyricist of Hindi films, decides to create India’s first poetry band, its work is worth watching out for. Irshad has skillfully carved a space for his kind of film lyrics- poetic, melodic and yet conversational. Not one to arm his songs with heavy words, but letting them breathe and grow into the music, Irshad’s brand of poetry carries forward with The INK Band. The band performs verses recited by Irshad interspersed with singing, and music, making for unusual but easy listening.
Having performed at events and live gigs since 2015, and having garnered a tremendous positive response, The INK Band will now release eight music videos consisting of Irshad’s non-film songs. This collective will form Season 1 and subsequent seasons will follow.
The first video, ‘Vo Ladki’ was launched digitally TODAY- the World Poetry Day, by none other than frequent collaborator on several chartbusting and melodious film music albums, the Academy Award winning maestro A R Rahman! Lending his support and appreciation he said, “What will life be without poetry..What will Hindi film industry be without Irshad Kamil..some of the songs he has written have become iconic in people’s hearts.I wish him the very best for his new venture, sharing his gift of imagination with all of us..SubhanAllah !
Launching the video on his social media handles, Rahman wrote: On World Poetry Day, Irshad Kamil brings together poetry and music with #TheInkBand! Check out their first song !! https://www.facebook.com/arrahman/videos/1911508635560698/
Speaking about this collection, Irshad says, “The INK Band reflects simple, conversational songs and poems with music. We have built an easy connect with young listeners and poetry aficionados across all age groups because what we do makes for easy listening, much like in a college jam session! We will focus on my non-film poetry to offer something fresh to our audience. Starting off on World Poetry Day is our tribute to this art of weaving words.”
Each of these songs will also be available for radio listeners on Fever 104 & My FM in a weekly program called Cafe Irshad: ft. the INK Band and will soon be available for download on digital music stores also.
With the magic of poetry and the melody of music coming together for this project, The INK Band is set to spark our imagination and entertain in the spirit of poetic beauty.
Apart from Irshad, members of The INK Band include:
- Prajakta Shukre – Prajakta shot to fame as a finalist on Indian Idol Season 1. She is now one of the leading playback singers, in the Indian film industry.
- Agnel Roman – Agnel is a music composer who has scored for Films, Ads, TV, Documentaries, Short Films and many more. He is a Guitarist & also plays other String Instruments.
- Ragini Shankar– Ragini, ace Indian classical violinist began her training in North Indian Classical Music at the tender age of 4 under the tutelage of her exemplary mother Dr. Sangeeta Shankar and illustrious grandmother, Padmabhushan Dr. N Rajam, renowned violinists of the country
- Shridhar Nagraj – Shridhar is a well-known name among new generation music innovators. His talent is not limited to singing and playing different instruments and actually shows in taking his music compositions to untouched and new heights.
- Ankush Boradkar– Ankush, a self taught Pianist and Flautist, currently works as a Freelancer Music Programmer.
- Deepanshu Pandit – Deepanshu Pandit is a young playback talent of the Hindi film industry. He shot for fame for his song Chhil Gaye Naina in NH10.