2018 marks 90 years of Mickey Mouse, since his first appearance in Steamboat Willie on 18th November 1928. A series of worldwide celebrations will be taking place this year on the occasion of Mickey Mouse’s anniversary and India too is joining the party.
Mickey Mouse has become a household name in India with over three decades of storytelling, starting with Doordarshan. Mickey has become a part of the everyday lives of kids and families, from metros to smaller towns, by making its presence felt through content, products and fan inspirations.
Binding generations together more than any other animated character, Mickey Mouse reminds people of laughter, optimism, and hope. With his universal appeal and ability to emotionally connect with generations all over the world, no other character quite occupies a similar space in the hearts and minds our fan base.
As a part of Mickey anniversary celebrations, Disney India has undertaken a unique initiative that encourages kids and families to ‘Stay Fit’ through dance. Mickey and Minnie Mouse are leading this ‘Stay Fit’ activity through a ‘dance along’ video which the kids watch, follow and perform together with their friends.
Not just that, Mickey Mouse has been an inspiration to fashion designers world over and the beloved mouse has been featured in a variety of high-end designer collaborations globally as well as in India. This year too we are collaborating with high-street fashion brands to bring back the nostalgia amongst the fashion-forward youth.
Here are some fun trivia you didn’t know about Mickey!
Mickey became an instant hit on November 18, 1928, with the release of Steamboat Willie, the first ever cartoon with synchronized sound. At that time, most other studios were still producing silent films and shorts while Disney adopted sound and raised the standard.
- Walt originally wanted to call Mickey “Mortimer Mouse”, and it was changed to “Mickey Mouse” when Walt’s wife Lillian said she felt that “Mortimer” sounded too pompous and suggested another name that personified the qualities of fun and humbleness.
- Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on November 18, 1978, in honor of his 50th anniversary. The star is located on 6925 Hollywood Boulevard.
- One of the most iconic MickeyMouse products of all time is the MickeyMouse wristwatch. The first one was produced by the Ingersoll-Waterbury company in 1933, and it was sold for USD2.95. The company presented Walt Disney with the 25-millionth Mickey Mouse watch in 1957. Later, it became the foundation company for the brand now known as Timex.
- MickeyMouse’ feature film debut in Fantasia in 1940 as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice was one of his most famous roles ever. The film introduced stereophonic sound to motion pictures through a special sound system called Fantasound and cost US$2.28 million to make.
- In 1955, Mickey made his debut on television in The MickeyMouse Club television show.